Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Of Mice and Children

We launched a stake-out recently because we suspected a mouse was potentially living in our kitchen. The evidence was mounting and we knew we had to do something. Our privacy had been invaded! Before we invested in a trap...we decided to confirm our fears by placing strong smelling aged swiss in the area under surveillance. Caleb, Courtney, and Becca stood guard determined to see this culprit.

The first two pictures show the original placement of the cheese, and lo and behold we woke in the morning to (third picture) the undeniable awareness that we were in fact infested with a mouse (if not...mice!) The cheese had been dragged to the point of entrance in the wall where it there stayed because it was apparently too big to pull through. Over the course of the next few days the morsel diminished until it was gone completely. We needed no more proof, and what was worse than knowing that we indeed had a mouse...the realization that we were nourishing it!!!





I initially wanted to be humane about this whole process...so I set up a "safe" trap intended to catch and release. After a couple days with no success we realized that we were dealing with a potentially intelligent creature. We decided to buy one of those standard traps that are designed to kill instantly. The one I bought advertised no need for bait, but that didn't work either. Then we tried adding bait, but all I had in the fridge was feta. That didn't seem to be working either, and by this time we were wondering if the mouse hadn't expired already in some other fashion. Almost immediately after we thought that...we looked and saw that the feta was gone with no sign of the mouse!! We were seriously astonished and turned to our last ditch effort to rid ourselves of this thing. Rog took some swiss cheese (which we knew he obviously liked) and smashed it down into the trap hoping to make it much harder to retrieve. The next day we had our mouse. It was sad but really uneventful...and went out with the morning trash.







4 comments:

Maxine said...

Sooooo glad to see something new on your blog . . . Good Job! BUT I send my sympathy, I HATE mice in my house, but I can vouch for Roger's abilty to get them, at least he is great to get rid of the "catch". I was tempted to keep him home from his mission because I didn't want to have to do the deed!!!

melanie said...

I hate mice in my house too. We had some in our duplex and had to set traps. The worst part is getting rid of them after the fact. YUCK!!!

steph said...

I'm glad you finally caught him!! I think the one in my garage died. I smelled something funny outside my house the other day! Good riddance, YUCK!!

Carrie Cummings said...

AHHHHH! I so hate mice!!!!! What mighty mouse hunters you are. We had a mouse make a nest up inside the engine of our van. When Russ took it in to get an oil change the guy told him there was a nest of baby mice in his engine. Isn't that disgusting!!! The guy put them in the garbage and we bought a little "mouse radar" thing that makes noises that mice supposidly hate in our garage. We'll see if it really works. Crazy critters!