Friday, January 23, 2009

A gentleman...




Rog and I have been working with Caleb a lot to teach him how to be a little less focused on his own needs. The most effective way we have found so far is showing him how to be a "gentleman." The word has been intriguing to him, and he has been trying everything in his power to become one of those:) For example, I'll hand out sandwiches for lunch, and if I hand him one first he'll pass it to Courtney and say, "Ladies first, because I'm a gentleman." He has been holding doors open for all of us girls, setting the dinner table for us at night, and letting Courtney use the toilet first when they both have to go. It's been really cute to watch, and of course he has a really good example of how to be a gentleman in his daddy.

Last night we were sitting down for dinner, and talking about our new family resolution of going without junk food for 10 days. Courtney was telling us how she had gotten really sick one time from eating too much junk food. (Really she had a horrible flu...about a year ago) We were trying to remember who had gotten sick first because it had been passed around the whole family; it was the whole throwing up every 15 minutes until you are so dehydrated that you start dry heaving because there's nothing left to come up kind of sick. I mentioned that I thought Caleb was the one who had gotten sick first. Rog reminded me that Courtney actually had it first to which Courtney replied, "Yes, because Caleb's a gentleman."

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Larin - I am SO IMPRESSED!!! You are an amazing and creative mom! I love it!!! Thank you for inspiring me!!! Ü

Anonymous said...

That is too cute. We started Gabe on opening doors, etc., but has yet to give up any food. Knowing him, that will take awhile! I can't wait until my kids can make ME dinner! :)

Carrie Cummings said...

That is so funny.